Working day after day around moving equipment, heavy objects, and unstable ground, construction workers understand the many risks they face while on the job. Although we have all seen posted signs warning of the possible dangers and advising us to stay off the premises, most of us don’t realize that we are at risk of sustaining serious, even fatal, injuries just by standing near, walking past, or driving by a construction site.
Whether you were a pedestrian injured near a construction site or a worker injured while on the job, contact The Case Handler today to discuss your rights and legal options. As experienced personal injury lawyers in NYC, we will fight on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve. To learn more about how we can help, contact us today to schedule a FREE consultation.
Types of Pedestrian Construction Site Accidents
Construction companies and property owners must take all necessary precautions to keep their sites safe. When they fail to do so, pedestrians and bystanders can be injured while in close proximity to a construction area. Common types of construction pedestrian accidents include:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falling objects or debris
- Exposure to hazardous materials
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Unsecured tools and equipment
- Inadequate or missing barricades
- Unsecured or poorly secured loads
- Defective or malfunctioning tools, equipment, or machinery
- Broken or improper use of ladders or scaffolding
- Improper use of equipment, such as forklifts and cranes
- Improper storage of materials and equipment
Who Can Be Held Liable for Damages?
Any negligent party whose actions or inaction directly caused a person’s injuries can be held liable for damages. Parties commonly responsible for compensating victims injured in a construction pedestrian accident include but are not limited to the following:
- Property Owners - Property owners must keep those on or around their property safe from hazards or adequately warn workers and pedestrians of potential dangers. Failure to do so can make them liable for an injured victim’s losses.
- Construction Companies, General Contractors, and Project Managers - Individuals and companies in charge of overseeing the construction site have a duty to implement safety measures and ensure the property is safe. Breaching that duty constitutes negligence, making them at fault for the accident.
- Equipment or Product Manufacturers - Manufacturers can be held liable for damages if defective or dangerous products, tools, equipment, or machinery were the direct cause of a victim’s harm or injury.
- Architects or Engineers - Victims can seek damages from the architect or engineer if errors in the design or engineering of a new project or the failure to abide by building codes and regulations caused their injuries.
Seeking Damages After Sustaining Injuries Near a NY Construction Site
Under New York law, injured pedestrians can seek damages by filing a personal injury claim. If the claimant can prove the other party acted negligently and that negligence directly led to their injuries and subsequent losses, the responsible party will be liable for damages. The types of compensation available to an injured victim depend on the circumstances of their accident but can include the following:
- Medical bills
- Assistive care
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
The family of a loved one killed in a construction pedestrian accident can file a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death damages include funeral and burial costs, the loss of the decedent’s financial contributions, the loss of services provided by the decedent, and the pain and suffering and loss of companionship incurred by the decedent’s surviving family members.
Contact Our Reputable Legal Team Today
Property owners and construction site managers have a duty to keep those in or around their construction sites safe. When they fail to do so and a bystander is injured as a result, they must be held liable for their actions. New York’s personal injury laws afford injured victims the right to secure the compensation they deserve and ensure negligent parties are held responsible for the harm they cause.
If you or someone you know was injured in or around a construction site, you must speak with an attorney right away. Our experienced team of NYC personal injury lawyers works tirelessly to secure just compensation on behalf of our clients. We treat each and every one of our clients like family, never backing down from our pursuit of justice. Contact The Case Handler team today to schedule a FREE case review.