Bike and pedestrian accidents are common occurrences in New York City. They often involve serious injuries due to the victims’ lack of external protection. If you are in such an accident, you will likely be dealing with recovery from your injuries, medical bills, lost wages due to missed work, insurance claims and stress related to all of these. The Case Handler team at Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP in New York City have recovered more than for accident victims throughout New York. We will work tirelessly to help you obtain maximum compensation for your injuries.
Main Causes of Bike and Pedestrian Accidents
Despite New York City’s Vision Zero initiative, bike and pedestrian accidents are still frequent on the city’s streets. They are typically caused by:
- Unmarked crosswalks — Accidents often result when pedestrians or cyclists cross streets where motorists are not expecting them.
- Left-hand turns — Cars may collide with bicyclists when one of them is making a left-hand turn. Pedestrians in a crosswalk can also be struck by a car that is turning left.
- Distracted driving — Motorists may be texting, talking on a cell phone, listening to music or engaging in some other distractive activity, leading them to hit a pedestrian or cyclist.
- Visibility — Pedestrians and cyclists are often victims of night-time accidents, sometimes due to failure to wear reflective clothing.
- Driveways — Bicyclists and pedestrians may get hit by a car pulling out of a driveway and not paying attention.
- Road defects — Cracks in the sidewalk, potholes or a lack of proper traffic signs can all lead to accidents.
- Car doors opening — A biker may hit a car’s driver-side door as it opens or may swerve into traffic to avoid it.
Our seasoned personal injury attorneys can investigate the cause of your accident and determine the parties who may be held accountable for the damages you sustained.
What to Do After a Bike or Pedestrian Accident in NYC
If you are injured in a bike or pedestrian accident, it is important to follow these steps:
- Remain calm.
- Call 911.
- Get license and insurance information from the motorist, cyclist or other person involved in the accident.
- Take pictures of the accident site and your injuries.
- Seek medical attention.
Then, contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney to advise you on your potential claim.
Contact a responsive New York City personal injury law firm for a free case evaluation
If you are hit by a motor vehicle while biking or walking in New York City, it is important that you consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can effectively pursue your claim for money damages. The Case Handler team at Pollack, Pollack, Isaac & DeCicco, LLP, we will advocate aggressively for you and fight for full compensation. Schedule a free case review by calling 212-608-3734 or contacting us online.